Welcome to the LightWire blog, an IT blog for small business owners and management teams looking to understand IT from a business perspective.
It’s a rare business that’s not heavily dependent upon technology – from back-office systems, employee productivity, security, to internal and external communications – everything is driven by technology. As such, although you shouldn’t be expected to code, it’s critical to understand and appreciate key IT issues, so you can make the right choices for our business.
Unfortunately, most IT blogs are focused on bits and bytes and don’t speak to small businesses in understandable terms.
That’s why we’ve started this blog. We’ll discuss a variety of IT issues from a business perspective, such as:
- Why the traditional break-fix IT support model is fundamentally flawed and why a flat-fee structure is far superior
- Why you will always want 24x7 support even when your people aren’t always working around the clock
- The issues around silver, gold and platinum support
- Why laptop security could be one of your major vulnerability points and ways to reduce your risk
- What you should know about “The Cloud” and cloud technology
- Keys for safe and secure browsing
- Ways to boost mobile security
- Understanding and preventing CEO fraud
- Why password management should not be an afterthought
We’ll also talk about other critical issues like cyber security and why you can’t ignore it.
(Hint: The National Cyber Security Alliance found that almost 50% of small businesses have experienced a cyber-attack. And as much as 60% of hacked small and medium-sized businesses go out of business after six months.)
With IT being a critical component of your small business’ success, understanding, planning and managing IT appropriately is crucial.
We hope you enjoy the posts and find them helpful. Let us know what topics of interest you have. And, of course, please let us know if you’d like to talk in person about any or all of these subjects.